This is by no means a traditional lasagne recipe, but it's a really lovely and flavorsome dish. As with traditional lasagne, there are a few elements to this dish, so you need a little more time.
- To begin with,
preheat your oven to 200C. In a very large roasting tin combine
your aubergine, courgette, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic,
balsamic vinegar and tahini and season with pepper. Roast for
minutes, turning a few times to ensure even cooking.
prepare your butternut squash by slicing off both ends of the
squash so that each end is flat. Chop it in half where the
thinner end begins
to widen around the middle and turn each half so that a flat end
your cutting board. Use a sharp peeler or knife to carefully
peel off the skin
in downward strokes. Now chop the fatter end in half again and
the seeds with a spoon and discarding, or saving them to roast
for a snack or
sprinkling on salads. Chop your squash into equal sized cubes.
- Put your cubes of squash in a
steamer, and steam until soft, about 20-30
minutes. Alternatively simmer in a large pot until soft.
- If you need to pre cook your
pasta sheets, now is the time to do it.
- Once your squash is soft, drain
any water off and place in a blender with your
coconut milk and ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg.
- When your roasted vegetables are
cooked through, and nice and charred
around the edges, remove from the oven and empty 1 jar of
passatta into the
dish. Give everything a stir to combine well. Turn your oven
down to 180C.
- To assemble, have a medium sized
oven dish ready and put half of your roasted
vegetables at the bottom, followed by a layer of lasagne and 1/3
squash mixture. Repeat this and use the rest of your squash
mixture for the
top of your lasagne. Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes
around the edges.
- Serve with your choice of greens
and an (optional) sprinkle of cashew cheese
on top (recipe below).
- 2 aubergines, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2 courgettes, chopped into 2 cm cubes
- 1 red onion, chopped into 2 cm cubes
- 1 punnet of chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, left whole
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 jar passata
- 3 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Tahini
- Lots of black pepper
- 1 large butternut squash
- ½ tin coconut milk
- Nutmeg (whole or ground)
- 8 sheets of lasagne pasta (I like to use brown rice lasagne
but if you are ok with
gluten then you could use whole wheat lasagne)